Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Cherry Pie



Life in our little world has changed drastically over the past month and a half. We're living in a new city, becoming familiar with our new home and new neighborhood. For me, two extra things I've had to get use to are shopping in a new market where I don't have my regular rapport with the produce guy or a butcher who knows me by my first name and a new kitchen. My new stove is electric and my oven seems to bake quickly, so I've spent my time recently avoiding baking (which for me is NOT easy). Today however when I walked into Whole Foods and was confronted with a massive display of succulent cherries on sale, I knew there was only one thing to do. I grabbed three bags and took out my iPhone....Googling a cherry pie recipe. Thirty minutes later I left the market with everything I needed to make a yummy cherry pie and homemade whip cream......(except I soon realized, a cherry pitter).

I ran home (the kids where with their grandparents and I was determined to get this baby in the oven before they returned) and began pitting cherries. Without a pitter, it was a mess but not nearly as difficult as I expected. I was finished before I knew it and ready to get to work on the rest. I chose to combine steps from various recipes, coming up with what I thought would work best. Other than not pinching the crust well enough and experiencing a bit too much oozing of the cherry filling....I think it turned out perfect. The hubby obviously agreed, placing his plate in the sink and proclaiming "that was the best piece of pie I've ever had."

The moral of this story is....I'm glad I bit the bullet and baked a scrumptious treat. Yes the new oven bakes quickly but I've figured out it's quirks and am moving right along! Thank goodness for a sale on cherries!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment